A half a year ago, I made trays for plant pots. They dried very slowly to prevent warping. This is partly what made me feel so lousy when I saw them after they’d been glaze fired. A person takes a long time to work on a piece that might look great before and after bisquing. Glazing is iffy, though, and everything can go down the drain with it, no matter how long someone’s worked on something before that.
I should have taken some before and after shots, but one re-glazed tray looks especially good. The other, I’m going to send back through for another cycle and see what happens.
Following the advice of Joan, a terrific ceramic artist, I heated them up in the oven and, wearing a mask, sprayed them with starch, which dried instantly, then painted on the glaze in areas that needed more coverage while the tray was still hot. I did this to help the glaze adhere, as it is like painting on glass.
Originally, I had dipped this tray in Lake Blue, then spattered it with Oribe Green. It was then fired to Cone 6. The results were sketchy…not enough coverage. So, in re-glazing, I painted on more Lake Blue. These photos show the results. I’m happy with it and will re-glaze the other tray next.